Tuesday, July 13, 2010

JULY 8

Today was the expedition to Le Mont Saint Michel, an absolutely majestic monastery. History says that St. Michel was told by God three times to build a monastery and on the third time St. Michel’s head was pierced with a beam of light and so the Monastery was built. The Abbey is built upon the rock of the bay and when high-tide comes an island seems to emerge out of the muddy sand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel

Just to be in the presence of such a marvelous piece of architecture made me breathless. How such large formations were built beats me. In one room of the Abbey scenes are depicted of each stage in which the place was built. The final piece was place on by helicopter. A statue of Saint Michel himself sits on the very top of the Monastery overlooking all of the land.

I can truly say that the trip was delightful. I spent most of the time cruising the inside of the building in silence, but when I had a chance to speak Mikhial filled the air. There is so much he has to say about Russia and the past. I am learning so much from both Mikhial and Dr.Davis. I have never met such a patriot man. It’s a bit intimidating. Mikhial seems to have no filter. He is blunt and to the point. Dr. Davis and Mikhail have the longest conversation, and debates. It’s hard not to listen when it’s so interesting. It makes me think that maybe I should have taken more political science classes.

Just a few hours later we were on our way back to the farm. The trip took a bit longer on the way back and I could not help but fall asleep. What is it about falling asleep in the car that makes you so groggy? When I wake up I don’t feel refreshed, but feel like someone punched my neck sideways and drain all the water from my body. I was parched and exhausted, so off to dinner then off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment