Thursday, July 15, 2010

JULY 10

Today was a day of travel. 5:45am came quickly. There are 24 students on the trip and 5 staff member. At 6am two cars pack in as many people as possible with everyone’s luggage. In a sedan type of car one can imagine what this may look like. Let’s just say that I sat in the back with my legs cramped to my chest, my backpack at my side and my suitcase on my knees. I am forever thankful for leg space in a car now. I can thank Dr. Davis and the French car makers for that.

45minutes later we were out of Pontivy and into Lorient. I was just part of the first shuttle. Both cars had to go back to the farm and pick up the rest of the crew. So, I sat in the café of the train station with the rest of the group and enjoyed a cappuccino.

I went to use the restroom and you’ll never believe it, but not only do you have to pay to use the toilette, but it’s not like a toilet that you would see in the US. I literally had to squat over a hole. When the door closed behind me it locked again and the self cleaning system went on just in time as I caught my breath. The restroom smelled so bad I had to hold my breath the whole time.

Next thing I knew it was 10am and I was on the train making my way to Paris where the group and I would then catch a bus to Normandy. Traveling is always where the best jokes are made, the best connections are formed and the true sides of people come out. I happened to be with a fantastic group of people so no drama went down, just a lot of sleeping and storytelling. I was one of the sleepers on the train who happened to wake up with a bit of drool on my leg as well. Yes, come on, we have all done that once in our life. Just admit it. If you don’t then a picture will show up somewhere that someone took of you while you were dreaming of gummy bears on a beach.

The group got off the train in Paris and before we could say his name, Dr. Davis was sprinting away to find the bus driver. What he didn’t realize was that he sprinted right past the driver and kept on going. So while Dr. Davis searched frantically for the driver, the entire group stood patiently in the center of the station. 30minutes later we found him and off the bus we went. Two more hours on the bus, 3 hours on a train make s a long day of travel.

Driving into Normandy was nothing like I expected it to be. It is small and quaint, quite beautiful. The streets are so small! There was no way our bus was going to make it all the way to our villa from the main road. That means walking, and lots of it all on cobble stone with a ROLLER BAG. About two blocks in I just picked up my bag and carried it. I was definitely no blending in well and I had only been in town for ten minutes.

Everyone arrive safely at the villa with complete exhaustion in their eyes, but that was not going to stop them from going out on the town their first night in Normandy. We scampered about like children in a candy store looking at everything all too quickly and moving on the next point in a swiftness. After searching for a place to have a glass of wine 5 of us finally settles on a pizzeria, the only place still serving at 11pm. All the other restaurants were closing down. It was nice to sit and relax for a while. Dre, Joel, Mikhial, Stephanie and I all enjoyed a bit of Rose and a white. The night was grand and I was beat. Bed had never felt so good when we got back. Rest was needed and I was going to make sure that I got it. Even if it meant sleeping in till 8!. Yes, that’s sleeping in J

No comments:

Post a Comment