Tuesday, July 13, 2010

JULY 6

What would you do if you had no hope for something greater in life? What if you viewed the world as material that lives and dies with no spirit, no soul? With no hope in a greater purpose life would have no meaning.

I had one of the most interesting conversations with someone today. It was testing to my character, my beliefs and my knowledge of my faith. The more I am pushed the more I fight back. If someone throws a curve ball, I am at the other end waiting patiently to fire back in good timing. What if someone throws you a ball that you've never seen though, and you have no idea how to react? What if you have only been taught what a fast pitch looks like? How do you swing at something you've never seen? Just give it your best shot.

Today I was the batter that had no clue how to react to the curve ball. I was caught off guard and vulnerable in my insight of Christianity. Someone who grew up Russian Orthodox with such strong faith went the completely opposite direction; he went from believing in God to believing that there is no such thing as God.

When your faith is shaken all you can do is hold on tight and stay strong. How do you argue for something that you cannot see? There are history books, but our knowledge of the past only goes so far. We cannot know everything about this universe for our mind cannot comprehend some things. For example, how do you explain TIME? If TIME was created, then aren't all things created? What existed before TIME? How does existence start? These are questions that even the greatest philosophers’ debate over. Some explain this by the BIG BANG THEORY, but for those who are not believers, where does their explanation come from? The information is not accessible to the human mind.

When someone keeps using the same argument to fight one fact, you start to think the person needs to expand their horizons. It’s not that I had believed this person, but what was hard about hearing his argument was that he seemed very logical. What he said made sense, but I had no proof of what he was saying was true. So, of course me being the curious cat that I am I perused the internet for quite some time to find that what he spoke of he was mistaken about. This just goes to show you, don’t believe everything you hear, and when you are skeptical find out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment