Thursday, July 29, 2010

JULY 17

Market day

 

France is so unlike Seattle. Wouldn’t you expect it to be when it is a completely different country? Here’s the thing, everywhere you go in the world you’ll find cities and towns filled with people. What is it that makes them so different though? People are people, they have desires and passions no matter what. The culture is what molds a person though. Honfleur has a culture unlike anything that I personally have ever been around. People are quiet and semi private. In town they are always dressed up nice. What I loved seeing the most is that they all wore white. White pants white shirts white shoes. Everything was white. I thought it was the trend, so of course I went to the market the next day and bought a white dress.  Come to find out, it not just a trend, they wear thin white close because it is the coolest thing they can wear next to nothing during the hot summer months. To me the people seemed very sophisticated and classy. It just seemed so refreshing.


The market comes to Honfleur every Saturday with vendors from all of France. They was a man selling dresses from Paris and another vendor from the Brittany area. It wasn’t just clothes and trinkets though. The market had the best selection of fresh produce and pastries. I thought I had smelled basil before, but once you smell the fresh basil from Honfleur, basil in the US will never compare. Its absolutely ORGANIC! People on the trip know what I mean…lol


I loved the way people shopped for they groceries. I saw a mother with her daughter carrying a large basket from home. This was their way to shop. Of course there is the CarreFour which is the same as a supermarket in the US. The way in Honfleur just seemed so simple.


For once in my life I seem to be taking things on the slower side. Believe it or not I can be calm, at times.


Dinner was fabulous. The only problem was we had no idea what the heck we ordered. I know that it had something to do with crab. It was delicious and that’s what matters. Great company, great food and great wine make a marvelous night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment